Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Gastronomic Adventure in Mullapanthal Toddy Shop



Gastronomic Adventure in Mullapanthal Toddy Shop!



A heavenly retreat with delightful range of seafood and toddy; it was an out of the world experience at Mullapanthal Toddy Shop…..






It is stating the obvious. But we all know that Kerala, the God’s own country, is dotted with picturesque hill stations, unending coastal areas, amazing beaches and delicious sea food, especially the all time favorite fish curry!



Now, let me take you to a unique food joint in the tourism map of Kochi, a truly memorable one that satiated my palate as well as soul at one go!


The very mention of Mullapanthal, located in the outskirts of Kochi, evokes awe and curiosity in the minds of people. Mullapanthal. It’s cute, isn’t it? In Malayalam it means jasmine shelter! Mullapanthal is six kilometers away from Kochi, on the Ernakulam-Kottayam highway.   


Before starting my journey to this restaurant, I had obtained bountiful of information from people who have already enjoyed the tasty fares of Mullapanthal toddy shop. So I set off my journey with great expectations and finally landed in Kochi.
I had a comfortable bus journey to Mullapanthal toddy Shop. I was so inquisitive to find the menu chart; in fact I skipped my breakfast so that I could enjoy the great taste of Mullapanthal!


Toddy serves in a mud pot



It took only 30 minutes to reach the place. The moment I got down from the bus, I saw a direction board to the Mullapanthal toddy shop. I stood for a while and just smiled at the board. I asked an old man for the direction, but he happily accompanied me till the shop, as if I am a VIP!


On the way, I learned the history of Mullapanthal, which was known as “Kallvur” toddy shop. People used to come here for selling pepper and rubber from neighboring districts in Kochi. They used to come to this toddy shop to relax and fill their stomach. In the courtyard of the shop they planted a jasmine plant. So later on they started calling call the shop Mullapanthal which means Jasmin shelter. This toddy shop owns 55 years old tradition and the fame is growing day by day, transcending generations.

on his trip


I was eager to fulfill all my hopes which I had carried all the way with me. When I stepped into the shop around 12:00 noon, there were hardly any costumers. Later I came to know that I was the first among the few.


Shaji, the restaurant manager, welcomed me with a receptive smile and led me to the kitchen. Oh my god, the kitchen was busy with the preparation of multiple verities of meat and fish for the lunch. The frying spicy aroma fumed around the kitchen in the high flame. The food is prepared on a mud pan with firewood, which added an extra flavor.  



I asked Shaji who takes care of managing the shop.He said: “We are serving 28 verities of fabulous food items every day to fulfill the demand of customers”. The name starts from Seer, pom-fret, wahoo,tuna,pearl spot fry, rabbit, tortoise, chicken, duck, the list goes.... unending....








Perl spot fry


all the way from Brazil, Tapyoka



If you are non-veggie, this is the paradise you love to be in! On offer are squids, rabbit, tortoises, duck, beef, etc.  

“Our customers never feel disappointed. We promise you a never-before culinary journey from our wide range of distinctive verities of sea food and other meats. The food promises to entice your taste buds and keep you wanting more,” said Shaji.     


People travel from far-off places and come here just to feel the amazing dishes along with toddy. Indeed, the place didn’t douse my expectations at all. It was beyond my expectations. The toddy is served on a mud pot on your table along with glass.

ready to serve














this is  puttu baking,not rocket launching 


There is no age restriction here. The prime customers are collage-going students, professionals, celebrities and even our grandpas.


What if a woman wants to come? No problem they value your privacy as this toddy shop is a nice place for families and couples to unwind. Even you can take your kids along with you to enjoy unforgettable memories and irresistible taste.The footfall is anything between 300 to 500 in weekdays and will go up to 1000 in weekends. At a time 150 people can eat.


It had also witnessed the shooting of many Malayalam and Tamil films in the recent past. Many travel magazines and channels have covered this unique food joint extensively.

Anything you eat your bill doesn’t go beyond 350 /- per head. 



I’d say: “mouthwatering food at jaw-dropping price”.


I was really swept off my feet on this culinary skill!   



Handy Tips:

v  Mullapanthall Toddy Shop: It is located in Udyamperuur on Eranakulam(Cochin)  - Kottyam High way
v  Distance from Cochin: 7 KM
v  Best time to enjoy the food: 365 days
v  Best time in a day: your dinner, because the spice will really set with the meat.
v  Please carry enough cash in your hand, there are no ATMs nearby.
v  Ample parking
v  Accepted currency: INR & US Dollar
v  Sorry, credit/debit cards are not accepted
v  Smoking inside the Restaurant, depends
v  No music and no dancing inside the restaurant 



        John Antony,
        Photo Journalist
      +91-8880498900




        

No comments:

Post a Comment